I am in the final week of my Whole30 journey, and what a journey it has been. I have learned a lot about myself and my relationship with food.
Here are some things that I have learned:
1. I LOVE AVOCADOS. I could eat a whole one every day. I wonder if that’s healthy?
2. It isn’t difficult to create a healthy lunch even if I don’t bring something from home. I work in a plaza with a grocery store. There’s a microwave in my office. Steamable bags of veggies, baked chicken from the deli, fruit from produce, and a small bag of cashews on the way out. Perfect!
3. You can make a very good, all veggie, Whole30 compliant salad at Subway. I’ve had 3 during my journey. I get a funny face when they ask, no meat or cheese? and I reply, no meat, no cheese, no mayo, and only oil and vinegar for dressing. BAM TAKE THAT!
4. I can still enjoy the social part of going out to eat, without having to eat out myself. I pack my lunch, heat it up before we leave, and my co-worker and I go to eat together. I order a water to drink, and eat the lunch I brought. I couldn’t have ordered anything better.
5. I love visiting the produce market!
6. I LOVE butternut squash. Ohhh my! Gotta get more of those from the produce market tomorrow.
7. I’m still not drinking enough water, and it has set me back in weight loss. I’m picking up the bottle…the water bottle that is.
8. The safest aisle to exit a grocery store on is the clothes detergent aisle. There is NOTHING to eat on that aisle, and it smells REALLY GOOD!!
9. About 75% or more of the grocery store is full of items that I should not eat.
10. Sweet potatoes and unsweetened coconut milk are DIVINE together!! I’d be fine if I NEVER used cow’s milk ever again.
So those are some of the things I’ve learned. I have also learned that I miss Basmati rice and beans. While Whole30 has added the white potato to the approved list, my goal is to eat it VERY seldom if ever. I also miss healthy desserts. I do not think that healthy desserts are of the devil. My goal is to work this new way of eating into Turbo Carb Cycling using healthy carbs on the high carb days and only having one reward day a week. If you want to know more about carb cycling, check out Chris Powell’s website.
Thank you for following my progress. Is anyone else out there doing Whole30?